Why pH Level Is So Important | Best Skincare | pHat 5.5

Free Shipping on Orders over $50.00




    After watching countless sufferers of skin conditions struggle to find products that were successful for them, we decided to do something about it. Our team has searched the world to bring you the most powerful ingredients in skin and hair care, especially those that are particularly anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing while relieving the symptoms of different skin conditions.


    Skin Care     •Hair Care

    Skin Care     •Hair Care

    Why pH Level Is So Important

    pH level balance scale

    A recent study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science Trusted Source reported that the ideal pH level is just below 6.

    Newborns have relatively high pH levels all over their skin. As babies get older, theirpH levels rapidly decline. The average newborn has a skin pH of about 7. This is compared to the average adult skin pH of 5.7.

    Skin pH varies depending on the area of your body. Lesser exposed areas, such as the buttocks, armpits, and genital area, tend to maintain their natural acidity.

    This is unlike your face, chest, and hands, which tend to be more alkaline. Such differences are due to the fact that the latter areas of skin are more exposed to the elements.

    pH level plays an important role in skincare because your own skin employs it with its “acid mantle.”

    The acid mantle is a very fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of the skin. It acts as a protective layer against viruses, bacteria, and other potential contaminants that could cause damage. Because most microorganisms thrive at a pH level of about 7.0, which is neutral, the native level of the acid mantle is about 5.5. This moderately acidic environment repels bacteria and viruses, keeping your skin and body healthier. But this isn’t all the acid mantle does—it also protects your natural oils, keeping your skin soft, clear, and healthy.

    Other factors that can affect skin pH level include:

    • acne
    • air pollution
    • antibacterial products
    • change in seasons, with different humidity levels
    • cosmetics
    • detergents
    • antibacterial soaps and gels
    • sebum/skin moisture
    • sweat
    • tap water
    • too much sun exposure
    • too frequent washing of your skin

    You need to restore your skin's natural acidity. But how would you know where to find them as no product talks about pH on the label? That's because no skincare company focuses on pH in relation to the skin. You see it talked about water and supplements, but why is there so little to no mention of pH in relation to the skin? Because it's just too much extra work in skin care and cosmetics not to mention expensive.

    Big brands don't want you to know this of course.  You may get a pH testing strip and test your skincare and cosmetics and find them at a pH of 7.8 or even up to 10.5 pH. To compare, household bleach is at pH 11 and you've seen what happens when bleach comes into contact with human skin...

    This is why an estimated 25% of the population suffers from extreme skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, keratosis, etc. The other estimated 75% are always at risk by using everyday cosmetics and skin care. 

    By using skin products with a pH level that is set too high, you are setting yourself up for dry, irritated, even burned skin (due to what is called an “alkaline burn”). Not only that, but you might also be paving the way for microorganisms to enter your system.

    So what do you do?

    Find products that are perfectly balanced between 4.7 and 5.5 pH to match your natural skin's pH and restore it back to its ideal state while providing lots of organic nutrients. 

    That is why, as the name suggests,pHat 5.5 makes sure to carefully pH balance all our products—ensuring they sit at the same level as your skin, at 5.5. This supports and maintains the acid mantle, therefore keeping your skin as healthy and glowing as it should be!